Sunday, July 11, 2010

Happy 50th Anniversary To Kill a Mockingbird!

Today marks the 50th Anniversary of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. In celebration, events are taking place all over the United States. Please visit the website to take part in the fun even if you have not read it.

I discovered this important event at BEA where they had an enormous display of this upcoming celebration. Guests had the opportunity to share their memories of this timeless novel to win a free edition of the book. I, of course, like I shared with you all previously had NOT read the book and in shame, avoided this booth.
I know, real mature.

But since discovering the 50 year website and reading all about it in the Harper Newsletter I recieve, I decided it was time to finally read it. I can't tell you how crusty and old my copy is. I've had it THAT long. It has fallen apart several times while I'm reading it. It is now being held together with lots of tape. Good thing I just learned all about mending books at my library job. :)

I am only on page 60 but I am devoting the rest of this week to this wonderful novel.

This celebration got me excited for many reasons.
One, because I had not read it before and I enjoy jumping on bandwagons every now and then. Two, I was inspired by the stories of so many people in my life who had read this and loved it. And three, communities coming together over a little ol' book in mad celebration just pleases my book loving heart so.

My friend Trever called this book "a literary event" and my pal, Cheryl said it is one of her very favorite books of all time. I trust these people with my life so I'm going to really trust their strong feelings for this book.

How about you?
Do you have memories of this book to share?
Have you decided to read it finally in celebration?

Melissa at The Betty and Boo Chronicles just posted her review here.
And Marce at Tea Time with Marce is reading it along with many others on her blog.

I'm off to continue reading about Scout, Jem and Boo Radley.

Happy Reading and as always, thanks for stopping by!

red headed book child




7 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You know what? I've never read it either!

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out! Hope you enjoy TKAM ... such a great book.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I need to re-read this some time. I always loved it.

Ann Summerville said...

50 years is amazing.
Ann
Cozy In Texas

Marce said...

I'm back and put my post up and linked yours also, thanks Michelle.

Have a look.

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/07/im-back-and-part-1-discussion-of-to.html

Okie said...

I actually just started reading this for the first time last night. I'm on page ~50 and really enjoying the vibrant style.

bookmagic said...

I reread this book last week and I love it all over again. Scout is my favorite