Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NYC: Day 3



NYC: Day 3

Day 3 was all about my friend Trever and I. Cheryl had to do some business in New Jersey so it was a great chance for Trever and I to really spend some time together. Considering we see each other maybe twice a year now, we had a lot of catching up to do.

We started out the day with much needed caffeine. Nothing glamorous at all. Starbucks. $6 latte. (ouch) $3 Water (double ouch). A quick jaunt to buy a camera charger. Yes, I brought the wrong one with me and since my camera died the day before, moments before meeting Rick Riordan, I was not going to miss anymore events.

In addition to Broadway, Trever and I enjoy going to different churches. I love the big, old churches with the stained glass and statues of saints. So we headed to one of our favorites.
St. Patrick's Cathedral in Midtown on 5th Ave. I really wanted to light a candle and say a prayer for a close family member who is battling cancer. While I was there I picked up a Prayer Card of the Patron Saint of Cancer Patients and sent one to my family member.
It was peaceful and was a good start to the day. Always crazy to step into this quiet place in the midst of busy Manhatten.

Then we hopped the train and headed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up north, all the way up to 190th to the Cloisters. Beautiful Day, long hike up a big hill (we couldn't exactly find the entrance!) and another peaceful place as well.

We topped off the day with an early dinner at Tea and Sympathy (sigh) and read books in Washington Square Park (another one of my favorite places). The first time Trever and I came to NYC we were not so skilled at finding public bathrooms. We found one at this park and would come back to it numerous times simply because we couldn't find any other public places to go!
We have since moved on from that! Besides, meet way too many crazies in the bathrooms at that place. Oh the stories I could tell...

One more day until BEA! At this point in the trip I was beyond excited and nervous. We went to bed a little earlier than normal this night to gear up for our big, big day!

During this whole time, of course, I had been calling home many, many times to check up on my little kiddo. He was in good hands. No worries. He didn't even miss me. :(
In fact, he almost enjoyed saying "Mama Airplane!"
Thanks, kid.

Stay tuned. Tomorrow is all about the first day of BEA!!!!

Happy Reading and as always, thanks for stopping by!

red headed book child



5 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I <3 St. Patricks Cathedral :)
I LOVE these pictures :)

Priya Parmar said...

i love washington square park too! the hotels in that are have great bathrooms as long as you do not mind brazenly walking through as if you are staying there! otherwise the apple store on prince st in soho has a great one!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great day. I love St. Patrick's Cathedral and I'm not even Catholic!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

Loving you trip postr.

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

I love St Patrick's Cathedral!!! By chance have you been to the National Cathedral in DC? My fave by far in the world so far...

Ok ~ you have to hurry up and get to BEA!!! I'm dying to hear all about your trip! I see some of your comments on blogs of people I know who have gone and I WANT TO KNOW!!! Remember I'm living vicariously through you! And the tour of the houses....oh, man, i hope you got pictures! you DID go, right???? please say you did!!!! your trip to NYC sounds just so incredible! will you be my buddy next year????