Sunday, May 30, 2010

NYC-One Day At A Time


Dear Followers and Friends,
I am back from NYC. For those of you new to my blog, I have been away in the Big Apple for BEA and the first ever Book Blogger Convention.

Yes, it's true. I was part of the fabulous group of trendsetters.

I had a wonderful time and met so many wonderful people that I have been following and reading for months. It was such a pleasure to meet these individuals and a whole bunch of new people as well.

But before I tell you all about those events, I will tell you about my trip as a whole. BEA and the Book Blogger Convention happened mid week starting on Wednesday for me. I arrived on Sunday full of long lists of things to do.

I have been to NYC 4 times now with the same two people that I went with this time around. My best friend, Trever, who went under the bookseller hat and my friend, Cheryl, who is an archivist. Both were able to go with me to BEA.

We are all three lovers of the city; the sights, the food, the people, the shows, the energy. We love it all...even the subway. I, of course, have no sense of smell so I probably love some areas more then they do!

So we arrived on Sunday, after many a delay and lost luggage, and hurriedly checked in the same little hotel we always stay in in the heart of Midtown. To let you all know the name would be telling you a best kept secret. So sorry. :)

We couldn't waste a minute. We walked the streets looking for the "perfect" place to eat. In NYC, you have a restaurant every two steps.
Picking one is a tremendously hard thing to do.
We wanted comfort food after our long day of travels so we stumbled on
Bocca Di Bacco on 9th and West 55th.
Authentic Italian food for typical New York prices.

We never hold back when it comes to food in NYC. It's just not worth it. It's expensive everywhere but more often that not it's worth it.
Unfortunately, this was one of the places that catered more to the design of the dish rather then the amount of food. So, yes, instead of getting a good old helping of Tortellini, I got 5 pieces (or some such ridiculously small amount).
I love to eat. I love to eat a lot. In fact, my friends commented on how often I get hungry. Chalk it up to having a two year old or having my body get all whacked out after having a two year old but I can eat all day.
So, needless to say, delicious as it was, those few pieces of yummy Tortellini were not enough. At all. Not with a gigantic glass of red wine.
Can you say No Tolerance?

So I did the only thing I could. I ordered a piece of chocolate cake...one for each of us and I was pretty sure I could eat all three but thank goodness, this portion was a good size.

After our meal, we walked the streets and soaked it all in and planned our big week.

Would I be able to sleep without my little kiddo?
Would I be able to schmooze with all these new people?
Would they all start immediately un-following me once they meet me?
Would it physically be possible to smuggle the life size Clifford doll out of the Scholastic offices?
What if I spend my mortgage payment on boxes of books to send back?
Would I be prepared to do an impromptu duet with Bernadette Peters if she asked?

And, lastly, are my feet going to survive?

Stay tuned for my daily posts this week on my adventures in NYC!

Happy Reading and as always, thanks for stopping by! It's good to be back.

red headed book child

10 comments:

WonderBunny said...

It already sounds like you had a good time!

Staci said...

I am just a tad jealous as I've yet to visit the Big Apple!! Looking forward to your posts!

Jennifer said...

Michelle, I just wanted to say that I'm so glad I got to meet you!! Had an awesome time and I'm glad we were able to finally meet in person!!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ooooo I can't wait for your day by day break down :) So glad your back. Missed ya :)

Alexia561 said...

Looking forward to hearing more about your BEA adventures! I'm still sore from all the walking and lugging heavy tote bags, but it was so worth it! Rest up while you can! :)

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a fabulous time. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Jenny said...

LOL!

Looking forward to your posts!

StephTheBookworm said...

Oooh, can't wait to read all about the rest of your adventures!!!

NYC is my favorite place in the whole world, but I've only been once, for my 16th birthday, and that was 5 and a half years ago. I'll live vicariously through you, friend.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

LOL Great post!!!! I had good luck with restauarants but think my favorite was Yum Yum, a Thai place we went to before seeing mama Mia. It really was... Yum Yum.

It was great meeting you too :)

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

so did your feet survive? and your wee one....i'm sure he survived, did you?

i'm loving this day-by-day breakdown! so awesome!