Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review #46: Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep

Title: Spider's Bite

Publisher: Pocket Books (Simon and Schuster)
Format: Review Copy from Publisher
Series: An Elemental Assassin Book
Genre: Urban Fantasy
ISBN: 978-1-4391-4797-9

Rating: 8/10

My Review and Description:

I requested this book to review because quite frankly it looked like it kicked a little ass. And I needed a little ass kickin' in my reading. I have to say, I enjoyed the heck out of this book. It was fun, fast and fierce.

Gin Blanco is an assassin, the most feared assassin known as the Spider. She is also a Stone Elemental which means she can hear anything from the walls of a building to the gravel beneath her feet by simply touching. She moonlights at a BBQ joint called the Pork Pit in Appalachian town of Ashland.

She is tough and good at her job. Independent and detached, the only one closest to her is her handler, Fletcher. He saved her many years ago and there is a soft spot in her heart for him.

When he is murdered and she is set up during a hit, her motivation becomes focused 100% on finding Fletcher's killer. She partners with his son, Finnegan and the only good cop left in Ashland, Donovan Caine (also rugged and hunky, of course!).

Their romp through the seedy underbelly of Appalachia and the fantasical characters they fight, kill and expose makes this first in a series awesome to read. Gin is extremely likable and crush worthy as are Finnegan and Donovan! For being fantasy, it was not overly complicated and character heavy (no offense to Fantasy in general).

I recommend it for fans of Paranormal Romance/Mystery. It's lighter on romance but there are some sexy scenes and definite tension. The build up of who dunnit is done nicely and appeals to the mystery fan in me.

The second in the series is called Web of Lies and is coming soon from Pocket Books.

Thank you to Sarah at Pocket Books for sending this to me to read and review.

Happy Reading!

red headed book child

4 comments:

ParaJunkee said...

This book really rocked my socks. Talk about a romp...like that word. I just like how she took charge and was like if you don't like it, I'll kill ya. Especially with Mr. Caine. Cracked me up.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

So many great things about this book. It has been on my list here, and I am in need of getting it. Thanks for the review!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

This sounds so entertaining...wonderful review, and I can't wait to read this! :)

Christine said...

I just read a review for this book on another blog and they really enjoyed it too. I think I'll be adding it to my ever growing never shrinking list! Ack! I'm never gonna catch up to that pile. ;)